Saturday 24 July 2010

Skandie Is EXCITED!!!! :D

Ok, so as most of you know, I like to write. A lot. *insert Sam's cheesy smile here* And as most of you know, I have written a book. And apparently it is a very LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG book (it's 270,000 words, as compared to the typical novel, which is 100,000 words. As a way of comparing, Eragon and Twilight are 130,000 words) So yes, I have written a long book. A book that is MUUUCH too long, if I have any hope of getting it published. Apparently agents and publishers do NOT like such long books *epic wail* So....we're cutting it in half, which is ironic, because this was already half of what I intended! So my 600 page book is getting cut down to 255 pages (computer pages), and it now equals 130,000 words, which'll be around 500 book pages. My first book shall become two. Which is goooooood, in a way, because now Mum and I will get the book edited sooner (no later than the end of this summer; we've got, like, four chapters left) and we can get it out into the massively complicated publishing world sooner. :D :D The only thing me is missing is the book title...the series title...and an agent. Andrea Brown Literary Agency, look out! Skandar's coming for you! ;) So PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE be praying for Mum and me and my little book as we continue to work on it, and pray that God will open up a door for us to get this book published! :) Also, if you know anybody, or you know somebody that knows somebody, that would have some good advice, or help, or anything, please let me know!!! :D

11 comments:

  1. Are you serious?
    NOO!!!!!!!!!
    500 pages is kind of short!
    Short cause I will be enjoying one of my best friend's amazing literary skills and would rather read 1000 pages!!!
    I'll pray for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, 500 pages isn't TOO bad...I just want to have that many at least.
    Aw, thanks, Annasophie! :) But sadly, a book with 1000 pages is just not possible in the publishing industry, not for a first book anyway. Maybe another book later in the series will be 1000 pages ;)
    Thank you! I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad used Lulu self publishing to get his book on the market. I think you can buy it on Amazon, but it's not out in stores yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can help you with the book title! but 500 pages is still impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, no, no, Sammie! Self-publishing is like dooming yourself to zero sales and NO self-respect! If I'm going to a publish a 500 page book at 14, I'm gonna do it the real way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gee, you've made my dad feel _so great_. He's sold quite a few books and has as much self respect as he started with! Self Publishing isn't all that bad anyway. It's like cutting out the middle man

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I would rather do it the real way... Cause with self-publishing you get it done anyway.
    Hey, Skandar, how do you get an editor? Just for the future... maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh sorry Sam's Father!! :( It was just my general opinion; I'm not saying your dad's not an exception.
    Weeeelllll, Annasophie, I think once you get a publishing deal, the publishing house has an editor work with you (or your agent) on the manuscript before its published.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know absolutely nothing... so... can't help there. The self publish thing doesn't sound that bad though. GOOD LUCK IN PUBLISHING-LAND!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Skandar... What's a publishing deal?
    Wow, you must be very Scottish. You call your mom 'mum.' :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's when your agent secures a deal with a publishing company (i.e. Penguin Books, Scholastic, Knopf, etc.) and they get the rights to publish either your novel or your series.

    ReplyDelete